Top 10 Photo Blunders
The following no-nonsense list was compiled from interviews with long-time online daters and the business executives and support staff of several major online dating services. What's the bottom line? The single most important part of online dating is how you handle the simple act of representing yourself with photos.
1. Not posting a photo at all. Not posting a photo at all is arguably the most serious mistake. You must have something to hide if your photo is a blank space. Trust us, everyone thinks so. And that jaundiced phrase "ask for my picture" is sounding pretty lame these days. Describing yourself in words is lame, too.
2. Posting a photo that is more than 2 or 3 years old. If you are too much older than your picture you've committed the sin of "age shaving" online. This is guaranteed to put your relationship on shaky ground from the start and is usually an instant "deal breaker." Ever wonder why that second date never happens? It's a sure bet they won't tell you if you "age shaved".
3. Is that little figure in the background you? See # 1. If your image is so small you can't be seen clearly you must be butt-ugly or have something to hide. Lame. Get a real photo of yourself. We've already seen Yosemite - in person.
4. Compromising by using a photo with a strange or goofy expression. If the only fairly close up, kinda' clear picture you have of yourself looks like you just smelled something unmentionable, it's time for a better photo. Even prose by Shakespeare in your profile can't overcome the awful first impression created by a drunken, or worse, that dreaded "deer in headlights" look.
5. Is that you - or is the one on the left you - or is the one in the background you? Why are you kissing that strange-looking man on the cheek? Who is that man with his hand on your ass? Are those your parents? If we have to guess or if you have to explain it in your profile text, it's too late. Try to avoid posting a photo with more people than you in it, especially if the other person(s) are of the opposite sex, even if you think the photo of you is good.
6. Take off those sunglasses. See #1. Going incognito are we? Playing Joe Hollywood? Wearing sunglasses just suggests you have something to hide.
7. You at the party, head tossed back in laughter, beer in hand, having so much fun you make us puke. It's not that we believe that you get drunk and party 5 nights a week, but why should we take the chance.
8. Trusting your mother or brother to tell you which photos you should use online. Your mother thinks even your goofiest picture looks absolutely charming. Your view is biased, too. That favorite photo that you think looks really, really good might not. Instead, ask someone of the opposite sex who you find attractive which photos you should use online. That's the single most accurate measure of your photo's effectiveness. Why? Because when you post your photo online, you'll be impressing just such people - or not impressing them - a thousand times a day.
9. Showing too much skin. This will get you just the wrong responses if you're a woman, and usually no responses at all if you're a man. There are exceptions, but not many.
10. Using your crappy snapshots because you think using professional photos is "cheating". Using professional quality photos is the first thing online dating experts suggest you do if you take your online dating seriously. You certainly don't trust your health, your vision or even your haircut to an amateur. So why trust your online image to one? Making a lasting first impression with professional photos is a sensible way to put your best face forward.
Merav Knafo is the co-founder of LookBetterOnline.com. LookBetterOnline offers an easy and economical solution to the problem of sub-standard online dating photos. Available in over 6000 cities in the US and Canada, all the photographers they employ are pre-screened, are specially trained and will make you look your best! You get 12 great images that are the perfect size and resolution for your profile - and for no additional charge, their staff will recommend the best photos to use!
Do your photos do you justice? If they aren't working for you, they may be working against you.
For more information and to schedule a photo session that may change your life, visit http://lookbetteronline.com
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Avoiding the Grand Manipulator
Let's face it..
Confessions of a Professional Matchmaker
Don't make these mistakes when searching for love online!"I spent my life searching for the perfect woman. I finally found her but alas, she was searching for the perfect man.
Dating Advice: Should You Play With Madness?
I have a friend with a big problem, a guy who needs good dating advice badly. All the women he dates are dysfunctional, and he can't figure out why.
8 Minute Dating - For Singles with No Time for Small Talk
You will get to a certain age where, no matter what city code you live in, you will not be content with the date or dates you are currently having. If you're dating without success and your big event or events are turning into dating flops, then perhaps it's time to 'save time' and find a fast, free, fun, good or make that great, group of singles who are looking for the same thing you are.
3 Easy Steps To Online Dating Success
We all know that online dating will help you to make new friends and meet your perfect partner. But, how do you get the best out of a dating site? If you are thinking of signing up, or have already joined a dating site without success, make sure you read these 3 important tips!1.
Meeting Women: Surefire Spots To Get Dates
The first thing I want to do immediately is to give you a CONCRETE, STEP BY STEP PLAN that you can immediately use to go out right now and start meeting more women.Now, most guys have it all wrong when it comes to meeting women.
How To Repel The Opposite Sex
There is a war between the sexes. This war is based on a misunderstanding.
Dating Tips - Prepare To Impress
At first dating is fun but as you go on it's so easy to fall into a rut. A night at home with rental movies or a dinner out or a movie is all you ever seem to do and you are getting bored.
Building Self Confidence
The building of self-confidence is not difficult, but it requires patience and intelligent effort. There should be no straining, no anxiety, and no haste.
Dating Tool: Confidence 101
I'm over it. "There's plenty of fish in the sea," they say.
The Deal Breakers
Deal Breakers. Everyone's got them.
10 Important, Easy Dating Rules to Ensure Your Success
1) Leave the mobile phone off! Do not answer it if it is on Silent either. You should only do this if you are expecting an emergency and I mean an emergency.
Dress for Dating Success: Clothes to Attract the Man of Your Dreams
In order to attract the man of your dreams, it helps to dress in a way that honors your beautiful body. When I use the word "honor," I don't mean you should dress like a nun or hide yourself in an ankle-length skirt and a turtleneck.
The Language and Meaning of Flowers
Sweet flowers alone can say what passion fears revealingThomas Hood poem, The Language of FlowersFlowers and bouquets of flowers have a meaning of their own. Most of us know that a dozen red roses means, "Be mine.
Dating Tips: Share a Little More Personal on Yourself
Have you been dating for a long time but felt that something is still lacking somewhere? Not understanding your partner well enough? The chances are, both of you are likely to be still stuck at the very initial stage of a relationship. Well give it a thought.
Top 10 reasons to Find a Date Online
I'm often surprised by the number of people who are unsure if online dating is right for them. I think online dating is great way for just about anybody to meet new people.
Choosing an Online Dating Service
The task of choosing the best dating site to join can seem daunting at first with the thousands of possibilities out there. Yet making that choice is perhaps easier than you think.
Dating Rules - Show Tolerance, be Easy
You should show a tolerant and open-minded attitude towards many subjects. Imagine the following sentences:A: "All bugga-huggawoks always make trouble.
Dating in the New Millenium
Over the past 20 years the face of dating has gone through some noticeable changes. Traditional methods of finding a date would be to rely on friends to play matchmaker or to attend bars, various different social events and parties.
How To Have Sex On A First Date
Guys have all different motives for trying to be successful with women. Personally, I love relationships, because why would I want to sleep with a chick just once?A lot of other guys just go for one night stands.