Love Could Be An Errand Away
You have signed up on several large dating sites and posted a great profile. So far, you've had some nice responses, but these haven't led to a meeting yet. Someone told you about a singles group at your church and there is an organization in your city for singles who want to volunteer, and hopefully meet other like-minded people. You've lost count of all the parties, happy hours and clubs you've been to, hoping to meet compatible singles. Whew! It's a lot of effort just to be in the right place at the right time with the right people.
Or is it?
In towns and cities everywhere there are single people (like yourself) going about their daily lives. Schedules consist of long hours at work and/ or school, commuting, appointments, errands, leisure time pursuits/activities and everything else that is part of the fabric of one's existence. In the course of a day, the average person encounters many strangers on the street, elevator, store, metro, etc. Have you ever really thought about the possibility that Mr/Ms Right could be the person behind you in line or across the aisle on the metro? If not, now is a good time to raise your awareness and broaden your thinking on the subject of how and where you can meet compatible singles. Armed with some newly acquired skills, your next chance encounter could lead to a first date and more. The following are areas to start building the expertise that will help you to stand out and get the right kind of attention when an attractive stranger comes into your sights.
* Always be prepared. You just never know, so you need to make that extra effort before you rush out of the house. Take a quick look in the mirror, comb your hair and change those (horrid) old sweats into a nice pair of jeans. How you feel about yourself will be projected onto those around you, and really - you do look like your mother in THOSE pants.
* Raise your general awareness of what and who is around you. Don't walk with you head down, avoiding any eye contact. Try smiling at people you pass on the street and offer a nice greeting or remark to the folks who wait on you when you shop, do your banking, pick up your clothes at the cleaners, etc. Take special note of strangers who appear to be single and to have characteristics you seek and surreptitiously check to see if that cute guy/girl is looking your way. If so, smile and say hello if it feels appropriate to do so.
* Watch your body language. Along with holding your head up, remember to keep those shoulders back and walk with a comfortable erectness. Have an "open" posture. Don't wrap your arms around yourself as you stand or huddle in a corner when waiting/standing in a line. The eyes say it all; so let yours say "friendly." Communicate to others that you are approachable and let them see that you are interested- if you are. What you don't say speaks volumes.
* Learn to be a good flirt. Along with body language and communicating interest with your eyes, you will probably need to smile and have a few good lines available. Rule of thumb- only approach someone who is reciprocating your interest through his or her non-verbal language. Starting with a question is always a good move. Make it real, non-threatening and impersonal. For instance, you are in a sandwich shop grabbing lunch and you are standing in back of a very cute guy. "Excuse me, have you ever tried the Italian sub here?" "It looks really good, but I hate it when they add too much oil." Safe, easy to answer and very open-ended. This allows the other person to share their experience with the shop (or lack of) and to add any comments or ask a question of their own. If they do, respond back with something that offers them the chance to keep talking.
* Become a great conversationalist. Yes, anyone can master this. It's about focusing on the other person, deeply listening and offering interesting, upbeat thoughts and topics. With a stranger, keep it simple. After the first exchange, ask them easy questions about themselves. Not too personal or probing. "So, if you come here a lot to eat, you must live/work nearby." "I've been here a few times, but don't think I've seen you before." Or offer something about yourself. "I'm a vegetarian and this is the best shop for meatless sandwiches that I have found." You get it - safe, pleasant ways to ask about them, share about you and keep the conversation going. "On nice days like this I often eat in the park down the street- want to join me?"
* Use common sense and take precautions with any strangers. He's very cute, but so was Ted Bundy. Never give out your home number, address or any personal information to someone you have just met "on the street." Most people completely understand and agree with this kind of caution and would not be offended if you explained your need to only give a first name, work phone number or an email address. If this first meeting leads to an offer to get together again, accept by all means if it feels right. But plan to meet in a public place until you have more information about them. Once you have had a few meetings/dates, you can exchange home phone numbers and more personal information.
* Close the deal. So, you two have been standing in line and talking while your sandwiches were being made. You are very interested and don't want to just say good-bye. What can you do? You can reiterate that you eat here a few times a week and tell them that you hope to see them on Wednesday at around noon. You can pick up on something they might have shared such as their participation on their workplace sponsored softball team. " My team will be playing on the mall on Sunday at 4, when do you guys play?" Perhaps we will play opposite each other and can talk after the game." Of course, there's always the suggestion of eating your sandwiches together at that park down the street...
Joining singles clubs and groups, posting personal ads and/or doing volunteer work are all great ways to try to connect with compatible, available singles. However, they are not the only way. Many great loves started from chance meetings in the couple's everyday world. So, get out there, really mingle and open your mind to the possibility that when you go around the next corner you will come fact to face with Mr/Ms Right.
Toni Coleman, MSW is a licensed psychotherapist and relationship coach with over 20 years of experience. As a recognized expert, Toni has been quoted in many local and national publications including: The Chicago Tribune and The Orlando Sentinel newspapers and Family Circle, Woman's Day, and Star magazines. She has been featured on ABC News; Discovery Health Channel and AOL Online. As a weekly contributing commentator on the KTRS Radio Morning Show, (St. Louis, MO), Toni offers dating tips and relationship advice in response to listener feedback. Toni founded Consum-mate.com in 2002 to offer singles the knowledge and tools they need to find and sustain healthy, lasting love relationships. She is a member of The International Coach Federation,The International Association Of Coaches and The National Association Of Social Workers
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Alexa can now answer all your dating-related questions — but her advice can be questionable - Moneyish
A Single Mans Astrological Guide to Single Women
ARIES (March 21 - April 19) - She's aggressive with men, dynamic, hot-tempered, and very bossy. You must be very strong-willed with this woman and don't let her boss you around.
Choosing an Online Dating Service
The task of choosing the best dating site to join can seem daunting at first with the thousands of possibilities out there. Yet making that choice is perhaps easier than you think.
Co-Dependency is an unhealthy reliance on another person for every thought, action, and feeling. It consists of people who seem to be defined by another other person.
How To Find A Dating Web Site That Is Right For You Today Starting From Scratch
So at last you're sick and tired of the bar scene, and now you want to find a dating web site that's right for you, but you don't know where to begin! No worries let us take you through a few options available and see what dating site will fit your plans!Now the first step you may want to do, is write down on a piece of paper the key tools you're most interested in using, and the ones that will assist you in reaching the right dating community online.You might think this is not an important step, but what this does is eliminates the dating sites that have unnecessary products that won't help in your search for the right people, whether it's to meet friends, or a life long partner for love and possible marriage.
10 Tips for Seniors Dating Online
We would like to take a few minutes of your time to discuss safety while using online dating websites. While online dating is safe, fun and affordable, it also can bring unwanted attention in many ways.
Next to your internal mindset (which should be relaxed, confident, and sexual), body language is the most important aspect when it comes to dating women.Why? Because an estimated 67% to 93% of human communication (according to university researchers) is non-verbal, and your body language reveals your internal emotional state.
Christian Singles: Questions To Keep Your Spirit Alive
With special events like Valentine's Day coming and going each year, I am reminded how difficult it can be to retain your spirit of who you are when you're a Christian single.It just sometimes feels like it would be easier to mold yourself into whatever your dating partners want, and then you can get on with living happily ever after.
When dating we all too often settle for someone that is not quite right. Why should we ever settle for something that isn't quite right, especially when it comes to person that you hope to have an intimate relationship with? It may be ok to settle for a hamburger when you really want a steak, but when you're dating; you're talking about a relationship that is vital to you as a person.
Dating Advice! Where Safety Always Comes First
Dating advice for people dating online, where safe dating will always be a priority!For many of you that are starting to move from the traditional local dating avenues to find relationships and love, and are now using dating online as your source, keep in mind that common sense must still be an important element when involving your dating relationships online.Before you decide what dating sites to use, make sure you read their dating tips that provide valuable information on how to best keep you safe.
Married and Unhappy ...
Married women need to feel Love and Married men need to be desired by their partners period !! Put more love into your Life..
Online Dating Safety - Tackling Internet Crime
Online dating is a great way to contact and meet new people. Either for free or for a small fee you can have access to thousands of singles looking for love.
From Friend To Boyfriend
One of the most frequent questions I am asked is "How do I go from being a friend to being a boyfriend?". I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that this is easy to do, but it can be done.
Why Online Dating is So Tough For Men
Online dating has become increasingly popular over the past several years. Every year millions of men turn to internet dating in an effort to meet more women without risking face-to-face rejection.
Dating Tips - Prepare To Impress
At first dating is fun but as you go on it's so easy to fall into a rut. A night at home with rental movies or a dinner out or a movie is all you ever seem to do and you are getting bored.
Finding Fun Date Ideas
The three most usual choices for what to do on a date are dinner, a movie, and a public event such as a sports game or concert. Those activities often give the couple several hours of time to enjoy each other's company.
Are You Up For The Challenge
Back in 2004, I met a gentleman who was interested in getting to know me better. After a few discussions of finding out what I needed to know, I decided to participate.
8 Steps to Scoring Big in a Bar
If you're single, you've probably gone to a singles bar at some point in your life, hoping to make a love connection. But what determines whether tonight will be your lucky night? Chance? Kismet? Maybe.
CyberDating Lie Detecting
Did you know that Online Dating is the top moneymaker on the Web? Chances are good that if you are single, you have joined a site or two yourself. If so, you've probably asked my CyberRomance clients' top question too:"How can I tell if they are lying?" Lot's of ways! Here goes:First off, much of "the problem" of Internet lying is media over hype.
You get her number, set up the date, take her out, and get her to come back to your place for "a few drinks". You are sitting on the couch kissing and fooling around with her, but after a while she says "It's getting kind of late.
Dating: How & Where To Meet Single, Alluring, Sexy & Beautiful Women Of Your Dreams
Are you a lonely man?When was the last time you went out on date with a sensuous, sexy and beautiful woman of your dream?Would you like to spark up your romantic life?It has been reported that there are more single women in US than available men.And if you ask most single beautiful women they will tell you that they have a problem finding their dream men because all the good guys seem to have been taken.